Sealcoating is a highly effective preventive maintenance method that can work near-miracles for your pavement. The number of benefits sealcoating provides is truly surprising. It could be just what you need to protect your asset and get the most returns out of your investment, which in this case, is your asphalt pavement!
Don’t believe us? Read on to learn all the amazing advantages of sealcoating your asphalt pavement.
1. Exposure to sunlight, wear, and age can cause your asphalt pavement to turn a dull grey color. Sealcoating will restore your surface’s rich, dark black color. Restoring your pavement’s aesthetics boosts the curb appeal, which will, in turn, increase property value.
2. Sealcoating protects your pavement against weathering. Harsh weather can be your pavement’s worst enemy. Long-term exposure to sunlight can cause oils to dry out and the pavement to lose its color. Rain, snow, and ice can lead to moisture infiltration into existing cracks. The constant changes in temperatures (freeze and thaw cycle) perhaps do the worst damage as compared to other kinds of weather.
3. Since sealcoating forms a protective coat over the top layer of your blacktop surface, it also offers protection against harmful snow and ice removal practices such as frequent salting and deicing chemicals and the use of shovels with metallic heads.
4. The sealant used in sealcoating fills up any existing pavement cracks and prevents moisture or debris from entering into the pavement and causing more damage with pavement movements.
5. Despite its hard coat, the sealer expands and contracts with the pavement as the temperature changes. In summers, asphalt expands, while in winter, it contracts.
6. Sealcoating prevents staining. Ordinarily, liquids like motor oil, engine oil, mulch, and paint can seep into the pavement, causing damage to the asphalt binder and base layer. Also, stains look unseemly on the pavement, regardless of asphalt’s dark color. Sealcoat forms a barrier between the stain and pavement.
7. By protecting the pavement against damage, asphalt sealcoating extends the pavement’s service life by slowing down deterioration. An extended pavement life will ensure that the asset serves your needs for a long time.
8. It may sound too good to be true, but sealcoating also saves you a ton of money! While you may have to invest a bit to get sealcoating done every two to three years, depending on traffic and wear, you will save a lot of money on maintenance and repair costs.
The above are just a few benefits of sealcoating that immediately come to mind. There are so many more ways sealcoating can benefit your property, mainly by protecting your asphalt pavement against all sorts of damage, but also sealcoating just makes your pavement look so much better. So, if you had any lingering doubts about whether to get sealcoating done, we hope this blog post has helped to convince you!